35 Inspiring Gardening Quotes to Encourage You to Grow Plants
Given the sustainability and environmental themes of this platform, it is no secret that here at EWP we are a bunch of gardening enthusiasts. At HQ, we grow herbs, regrow food from scraps, care for houseplants, decorate our office with indoor plants, grow seedlings in a greenhouse, are building a second greenhouse, are creating a permaculture garden and at the time of writing, grow more than 60 varieties of annual and perennial plants and flowers, fruit, vegetables, nuts, trees and medicinal plants.
In honour of our obsession with horticulture, we’ve curated some of the best and most inspiring gardening quotes and words of wisdom about plants, to encourage you to cultivate your own indoor or outdoor garden and connect with the wonder that is Mother Nature.
1. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” — Audrey Hepburn
2. “Gardening is a work of a lifetime: you never finish.” — Oscar de la Renta
3. “Anyone who has time for drama is not gardening enough.” — Anonymous
4. “The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now.” — Chinese proverb
5. “To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” — Mahatma Gandhi
6. “When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the garden.” — Minnie Aumonier
7. “My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece.” — Claude Monet
8. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
9. “No single sort of garden suits everyone. Shut your eyes and dream of the garden you’d most love then open your eyes and start planting. Loved gardens flourish, boring ones are hard work.” — Jackie French
10. “If you’ve never experienced the joy of accomplishing more than you can imagine, plant a garden.” — Robert Brault
11. “Gardening is cheaper than therapy – and you get tomatoes.” — Anonymous
12. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” — Greek proverb
13. “Gardening is the greatest tonic and therapy a human being can have. Even if you have only a tiny piece of earth, you can create something beautiful, which we all have a great need for. If we begin by respecting plants, it’s inevitable we’ll respect people.” — Audrey Hepburn
14. “You are also far less likely to waste food when you have nurtured it from a seed into a plant.” — Darina Allen
15. “Life begins the day you start a garden.” — Chinese proverb
16. “The garden is a love song, a duet between a human being and Mother Nature.” — Jeff Cox
17. “To create a garden is to search for a better world. In our effort to improve on nature, we are guided by a vision of paradise. Whether the result is a horticultural masterpiece or only a modest vegetable patch, it is based on the expectation of a glorious future. This hope for the future is at the heart of all gardening.” — Marina Schinz
18. “Gardening adds years to your life, and life to your years.” — Unknown
19. “Watching something grow is good for morale. It helps us believe in life.” — Myron Kaufmann
20. “The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.” — Gertrude Jekyll
21. “Plan a garden for the future, but expect it to evolve and need changing, despite your well laid-out plans. Such is the temperament of Mother Nature.” — Meredith Kirton
22. “There are no happier folks than plant lovers and none more generous than those who garden.” — Ernest Wilson
23. “In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” — Aristotle
24. “The healing of the land and the purification of the human spirit is the same process.” — Masanobu Fukuoka
25. “All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today.” — Chinese proverb
26. “Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get.” — H. Jackson Brown Jr.
27. “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
28. “Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts.” — Sigmund Freud
29. “A garden requires patient labor and attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or to fulfill good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them.” — Liberty Hyde Bailey
30. “All gardening is landscape painting.” — William Kent
31. “Despite the gardener’s best intentions, Nature will improvise.” — Michael P. Garofalo
32. “The single greatest lesson the garden teaches is that our relationship to the planet need not be zero-sum, and that as long as the sun still shines and people still can plan and plant, think and do, we can, if we bother to try, find ways to provide for ourselves without diminishing the world.” — Michael Pollan
33. “Giving up your ego is the shortest way to unification with nature.” — Masanobu Fukuoka
34. “A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.” — Liberty Hyde Bailey
35. “Gardens are a form of autobiography.” — Sydney Eddison
Have a favourite gardening quote that hasn’t been included? Feel free to share it below!
Keen for more plant inspiration? Check out our post #Plantstagram: 10 Green Instagram Accounts to Follow for Plant Inspiration.
- 13 Stylish Ways to Decorate Your Home and Office with Plants
- #TogetherAtHome: How Humanity is Coming Together in the Face of COVID-19 Pandemic
- 8 Low-Maintenance Indoor Plants for Your Office
- #StayTheFuckHome: Help Flatten the Curve and Stop the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Plant a Tree or Grow Your Own Forest With Treedom and Follow Its Journey Online
- How to Be a Fashion Activist During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4 Ways You Can Strengthen Your Mental Resilience Today
Cover image by cottonbro.
The post 35 Inspiring Gardening Quotes to Encourage You to Grow Plants appeared first on Eco Warrior Princess.